Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Business of Writing: That Stupid Cover Letter

First I want to apologize for not posting last month. Something came up that got in the way of my post but I’m back and ready to talk about that cover letter.


* This image is from my pinterest account


To me the cover letter is harder to do than the synopsis. How do you sell yourself on one sheet of paper? Even if you are cold submitting via an e-mail you still need to keep it short and sweet. Your letter should be an intro paragraph, your book blurb, your accolades and a closing paragraph/sentence telling them you can’t wait to hear from them.

I was also told if I met an editor at a conference and we hit on something personal like she/he likes cats, or she/he grew up where I did, that I should put that in the intro paragraph so the editor would remember me. The biggest thing that was drilled into my head was to send that submission as quickly as possible after the editor requests it.

All the advice was great but it didn’t help me when it came time to write one. I didn’t even know how to start one.

Dear editor – if you have their name use it

Intro paragraph – I would mention that I am multi-published and who I’m published with. I would also mention that I write lighthearted erotic romances and my writing style resembles authors like Johanna Lindsey.

The second paragraph – I’d then add my blurb

The third paragraph – I’d mention the contests my books have finaled in, I’d also mention any special review I might have had – something that was a little more than a five star review although if you have 5 star reviews you can mention those as well. I would also mention I was a member of RWA and the positions I held I would also mention MFRW and any volunteer position I have. In my case I would also mention I work with a publisher.

Last paragraph would be the thank you for your time...

This is very basic and if anyone has something they do that works for them please post it. The more we know the better those letters are.


Barb:)

Barbara Donlon Bradley wears many hats. She’s a mother, wife, care-giver, author, and editor. She’s a senior editor for Melange Books, and writes for Phaze and Melange books/Satin Romances with over twenty titles under her belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment